Monday, 28 September 2015

BIG STORIES IN THE NEWS: Trial of oil thieves will begin soon —Buhari

PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari has said the prosecution of those who misappropriated the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) revenues under past administrations will soon commence.
Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, in a statement in Abuja, said Buhari gave this indication in New York, United States, on Sunday, while restating his determination to fully sanitise Nigeria’s oil industry and make it totally free of corruption and shady deals.
Speaking at a meeting with President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the 70th General Assembly of the United Nations, President Buhari said a necessary first step in this direction had already been taken with the appointment of a new management for the NNPC and its subsequent reorganisation.
President Buhari thanked President Xi Jinping for China’s ongoing help in curbing crude oil theft from Nigeria.
The president applauded China’s interception of shiploads of crude oil stolen from Nigeria, which were to be sold and proceeds paid into private accounts.
“We know your stand on corruption and we are grateful. Your continued cooperation in curbing oil theft from Nigeria will be appreciated,” President Buhari told the Chinese leader.
He also assured President Xi Jinping that under its new leadership, the Nigerian  military had been re-trained and re-equipped and was now making steady gains against Boko Haram.
President Jinping told Buhari that China would increase its investment in the country’s agricultural sector to support the achievement of domestic food security.

Source: Tribune Newspaper

No comments:

Post a Comment